Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bridal Shows...

As planning continues I cannot help but notice the many advertised bridal shows in the area.  Being a girl who loves nothing more than pillaging free treasures, I try to go to as many shows as possible.  I am careful to not drive myself crazy with getting my money's worth (or should I say time's worth since most of them are free to attend) and not fall into advertising scams that run rampant at these shows.  Below I have made 2 lists explaining the pros and cons (channeling my English teacher cronies) of attending bridal shows from my experiences so far.

Pros
  • Free stuff:  Hors d'oeuvres, cake samples, coupons, gift certificates, cocktails, hair trials, makeup trials, jewelry deals, door prizes and give-aways, and in rare cases free bridal gowns.  
  • Vendor Networking:  This is when you can sample vendors work, check out what they have to offer and sometimes work deals for what you are looking for.  During shows, vendors are wanting your attention and, most of all, your business.  The ball is always in your court at these events so the ability to bargain is known.  Entertaining companies (DJs and bands) usually put on a show for all attendants to display what their teams has to offer.  Their performances can be cheesy at times but that shows you what you could have at your event (whether its bad or not).  
  • Fashion Shows & Ideas:  If you are unsure of what you want with regard to style of dress for your party this is the place to window shop.  Usually the bridal shops that sponsor the shows put on a nice demonstration of new lines from designers in the favorable colors for the seasons.  The last show I attended was definitely worth my while because as I was watching the fashion show, they brought out four girls in the same color (eggplant!) but different styles of dress... exactly what I want!  This helped me visualize my thoughts.  Also, some shows have tables set up in many different styles and color pallets along with floral arrangements that could give you ideas for your own day.  Take many pictures and bring the ideas home to place into your wedding binder (if you are like me) and show to your fiance'.
  • They can be really fun!  Especially if you are with people you love and are in your party.  Eat, drink, relax and have a great time bonding!


Cons
  • Info Sharing:  going to these shows sometimes means that you must pre-register in order to be eligible for door prizes (which sometimes could be good!).  Pre-registering means that your information will be shared will all of the vendors present, whether you want them to or not.  Soon after the show in over you will begin receiving emails, phone calls and fliers from those vendors.  These can be nuisances and can be avoided my only giving an email.  another way this can be avoided is by creating a temporary email specific for wedding correspondence (thanks for the idea, Tricia!). 
  • Scams:  Your information is not only limited to the vendors present but are also shared with companies that will contact you about possible free honeymoons and trips if you only agree to certain things (attending shows, time share presentations...).  You might also find yourself searching for deals that were advertised to you only to find that you have been lead to something that is not worth your while or might cost you more than what the item is truly worth.  Be careful and cautious.  The tried and true saying, "nothing is ever free" reigns true here. 
  • Peddling:  If you have already booked a certain vendor and do not need to look for, say, a DJ or a photographer, be prepared for peddling that could be annoying at times.  A vendor that you do not need to see will be asking who you have chose and why and if you are happy with them... I always thank them for their time but do not tell them who I have gone with (just my preference).  Also, some vendors will say what you want to hear in order to get your business so be weary... but polite :)
Despite the Cons, I find bridal shows to be fun and exciting as long as I am prepared and know that I need none of the vendors' services... I am only there for the fashion show and the free stuff, food and drinks!  Have fun attending the shows and getting the royal treatment!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment