Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dad's Collage

This past year was a great year filled with a wonderful honeymoon (I'll have to share pictures later), a new home (again, pictures coming soon!), and fabulous celebrations.  My dad turned the big 5-0 this year and of course we celebrated in a big way!  I helped my mom plan a fun, low key surprise party.  We knew we wanted to put quite a few pictures on display but I vowed that I would never make a mundane poster board with cutouts and "funny" sayings.  I went to my trusty Pinterest account and started the search for a memorable DIY picture collage project.  Then I found it... a photo collage in the shape of the number 50!!!  PERFECT!  The site did not give any information on how to make it, but my brain was going crazy with ideas of materials and procedures.  I knew exactly what to do without any instruction.  I visited my local craft store to buy huge foam board (2 pieces).  I sketched out a 5 and a 0.  Using a utility knife, I cut out the numbers with care to not hurt myself or my hardwood floor!  My mom had been collecting old photos of my dad with friends and family so I began to place them on the numbers.  I had so many photos left that I decided to use the scarp pieces to build an exclamation point to add more space for more awesome pictures.  I ended up printing more photos (from the wedding and recent adventures) and scattering them throughout the collage.  After I was happy with the placements, I used the amazing Glue Dots to stick them to the foam board.


The night of my dad's surprise party, T helped me hang the collages above the awesome mountain bike cake for everyone to check out.  It was a hit and everyone liked taking a step back in time... but most importantly, my dad loved it! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment